Welcome to blot’s documentation!¶
Blot is a static site generator built upon an idea of generalized content processing. It has no pre-concieved notions of the kinds of content sources you have or how they should be utilized in site generation. Instead, the problem of site-generation is modeled as a general problem of content transformation. In Blot the problem model is something like:
- What types of content are there?
- For a given content type, where should we get the content?
- How should content sources be parsed into assets?
- What kinds of asset transformations should be made?
- How do assets relate to output content?
- How should output content be rendered?
- How should output content be written?
At a high-level this problem can be broken into two steps:
- Content Reading where content sources are discovered, parsed and processed. The result is a context object containing all the resulting content assets.
- Asset Writing where the resulting file-system location of assets are determined and they are rendered to disk.
Blot site-configuration reflects this process and consists of defining pipelines that answer all of these questions. Luckily, nice abstractions make it easy for you to define such pipelines for your needs.